Sunday, July 20, 2008

Kairi & The Very Scary Fall

On Friday, we had a very scary day.... I had a friend/family member over for lunch and she had brought her 3 boys. Kairi and the kids were all playing in her room. Peggy and I were both down in the kitchen making lunch when we heard a loud *BANG* and then the all-too-normal loud scream of Kairi. Peggy and I both took off running to go see what the matter was and found Kairi on the floor screaming! One look at her arm and I knew exactly what the matter was...... it was broken. Good thing Peggy was here, I swooped up Kairi, told Peggy Thanks and ran out the door to get Kairi to the hospital. Now mind you I am very calm writing this, and one might think that, being a nurse, I would have stayed calm. However, SHEER PANIC, only begins to describe how I felt. My mind was racing and at the time, all I could be was her MOM!!! I raced to the hospital doing 60 in a 35 ( no tickets thank you). Something about seeing your child in pain, and her arm in a very unnatural position tends to override any sense of logic I had. Anyhow... We only waited a moment before the doctor saw her and they too knew it was broken. Then the waiting game began. Because she is so young, they knew she would need to be sedated in order to set her arm. They like the Orthopaedic Surgeon to do this, and he was right in the middle of a case. And had another one lined up after that. So he told us that it would be about 6 more hours (and he was right) before we would get to leave. So we waited.....and waited.....and waited.. We watched Shrek, finished reading the Wizard of Oz, watched Dora, and Kairi took a short nap. She was amazing. She didn't have ANY pain medication all day, because if she needed it she would have had to have an IV. She didn't even need pain medication after they set the bone. I gave her some for insurance sake that night (I and She needed some sleep for sure). Anyhow she is well. She is not complaining of her arm and is being such a trooper about everything. I think she gets tired a little more easily, but that is to be expected. Sooooo... we got souvenirs while at the ER and got a copy of her x-rays and here they are in all their glory:












9 comments:

Sarah and Dave said...

We like the story, but we dont see any xrays. Dave wants to know if he needs his special xray glasses to see them, or if they might be invisible because they are xrays?

Wonderland Girl said...

poor little thing! get better soon kairi!

Peggy said...

All I have to say is "Whew!"

Kohl said...

Ouch! That is a mothers worst nightmare. Glad everything is o.k. now.

Robin Conner said...

Ouch! You were a brave mom! Hi! My name is Robin, I grew up with Cameron and Ann. We were close neighborhood friends. Kathy had sent me an email with Marissa and your blogs so I could check them out! It was exciting to see your cute little family! Tell Cameron I say hello and I'm glad he's doing well! I hope you and your family have a good rest of the summer, hopefully "e.r. visit free". :)

AZ Allreds said...

Yikes! I would have been freaking out myself if one of my little ones did that. 6 hours!! That seems extreme but expected. I hope she does good and mends on the quick.

Our Crazy Life said...

Poor thing...I dread that day when it is going to happen to my kids...I just know my son is going to be the one for sure!

Angelina Christina said...

Owwwie, I am sorry to hear about Kairi's arm. Life is so crazy and fragile, isn't? How is she healing? I've heard that all training goes out the window when it's your own child-that's why Drs and Nurses are usually allowed to work on their own family members.

Our Crazy Life said...

You have been tagged, check out my blog!