Sunday, November 23, 2008

{Traditions}


November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

My Momma died 2 years ago on this day.

In the past I just wanted to be sad about it, but this year I decided that instead of being sad.... (that will inevitably happen no matter what), I decided that I would find something that would make me remember Happier times.

I know the cookies are weird, but this is what my girls and I did in memory of my Mom. We made her very favorite cookies-- and then ate them. It was fun. Kairi loves to learn the little quirky things about my mom that she was too little to recognize when she died. But now she is learning my mom's likes and dislikes and she asks questions too. Sometimes she comes to some conclusions that aren't quite on the money (ie: "Grandma Jo loved to sew. Huh, Mom?! See this is her sewing machine that Grandpa Dave brought to us." Me: "Uhhhhh-- no. Grandma Jo sewed a few things, but It wasn't her thing. Grandma Jo loved to read." Kairi: "Hey!!! I remember she would read to me. And now I love to read.") Anyhow, these conversations happen around here and lots of times we are able to help her know her grandma better.

So I am going to post the recipe to her favorite cookie, then I say everyone should know what the Mother's favorite cookie is- So go find out if you don't know and make them. You never know when you might not be able to make it for them to eat.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
1 cup Shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped nuts (optional, I never use these)
3 cups Quick Oats


Preheat oven to 350F. Mix thoroughly shortening, sugars, egg, water, and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients. Drop dough 1 inch apart onto greased baking sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes.

4 comments:

Sarah and Dave said...

We made them too, and I am glad you posted it so we can make them more often without having to always call and bug you for it

Peggy said...

What a great idea! It made me realize that I don't know what my mom's favorite cookie is-guess I'll have to find out now. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I love that idea. I also love that you are teaching your children about your mom. My mom did that for me and even though I never met my Grandma I think she is the best lady that ever walked the earth. Thinking of you.
chandra

jkohldadof8 said...

Grandma Andersen (my mom) loved Oatmeal rasin cookies too. Not sure if that was her favorite, I wish I could ask her. But I always remember her saying she loved the oatmeal rasin cookies and when she would visit those were the cookies she would pick out of the cookie jar. I, like my mom love them too, but so my kids will know. My all time favorite is Gingersnaps, then the oatmeal rasin.